Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Finishing the deck with railings

Next up were the railings. I was toying with the idea of doing something funky with branches, but it's not so easy to get cedar branches on the East coast, and special ordering them is expensive. Just couldn't figure out a source... So in the end, I went with a more conventional design, a bit more to code, with narrow spacings between balusters and a flat rail on top using decking. One mistake I think I made was to just lay the top railing flat instead of slightly angling it - harder to put a drink on it, I know, but when flat it's been accumulating water from rain and starting to turn green after only half a year... I'll coat it with some waterproof decking coat, so maybe that'll deal with the problem...

   

Not sure if it's easy to tell, but I ended up cutting the vertical balusters a little to make like a window through which one of the hemlock branches escapes. I really wanted to limit how many branches I cut off, and build around the trees as much as possible. In fact that was the principle of the U-shaped design for the treehouse, to work around the big oak tree that anchors the entire project.

No comments:

Post a Comment