Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Client-centered Design


I asked the twins what 1 thing they wanted most for the treehouse. Nadia: “I want a swing.” Kai: “I want a trapdoor.” Ok, I can do that. The swing we already had somewhere else so I just moved it to the treehouse… it gets pretty regular use, especially when Nadia’s friends come by. The important thing is to keep the area from getting too cluttered with nails, screws, tools, scrap wood, whatever else is lying around. It’s a good excuse to remember to clean up at the end of a work day. The trapdoor, well, that’s been on the backburner so far. The blocking is there, the location set, but I haven’t constructed it yet – it’s kind of nice to have a hole in the floor. All kinds of leaves, sticks, pine cones, rain water accumulate on the floor and having a hole means sweeping all that debris away easily. If I can get the house sealed up from elements, I’m thinking of putting down some light engineered wood flooring, and that will allow for a trapdoor recessed handle which is needed to pull the door up. In any case, the door itself hasn’t been a priority yet, so I just work around the hole in the floor… no one has fallen through yet ;) keeps the kids on their toes when going up there.

No comments:

Post a Comment